In WordPress, a theme is used to change the design, look, and feel of the website. For example, if you want to change the background color, images, headings, menu display style, etc., you need to make changes within a theme. However, if wish to add new functionality, like adding a career page to show job listing, you need to use WordPress Plugins. I will write a new blog on what to expect from a WordPress theme and how to choose best WordPress theme for your business.
In this blog, we will focus on how to install a free WordPress theme:
To explain the process, I have taken a live example of digitalconsulting.co.in. I will refer your website as yourwebsite.com. (You should replace yourwebsite.com with actual URL of your site to practice following steps:
1. Visit yourwebsite.com/wp-admin.
2. Enter Admin Username and Password to login into WordPress Admin Panel.
3. Take cursor on ‘Appearance’ on left vertical menu
4. Click on Themes. Three themes namely, Twenty Sixteen, Twenty Fifteen, and Twenty Fourteen will be displayed on the screen. The theme ‘Twenty Sixteen’ is currently in active mode as shown in the image. You can create a basic blog or site using the current theme, Twenty Sixteen. However, if you want to see more design options, click on ‘Add New Theme.’
5. Click on ‘Popular’ to check most used free WordPress themes. You can also search themes using keywords. In the example, I have used a keyword ‘Restaurant’ to find out themes that are designed for Restaurant business. Note that a theme developed for say, a restaurant industry can be utilized to develop site for any business (and not just restaurant business).
6. Click on Details and Preview to see Live Preview of your website. (For the purpose of this tutorial, I will install theme named ‘Vogue’ that can be found under ‘Popular’ WordPress themes.). The ‘Live Preview’ shows, how your website will look for end users. If you are sure about the theme, simply click on ‘Install’ to install the theme.
7. If you like the design of the theme, click on ‘Install’ and the theme will be installed. Click on ‘Activate’ to apply the theme to website.
And you have the new theme installed and activated. You now need to customize the theme as per your requirements. At any point in time, you can change the theme to change the front end design of the site. If you are facing any challanges, contact me through comments and I will try to resolve the same for free.
Author: Saket Kumar Singh
A digital marketer and strategist by profession, I love writing and travelling. In the past I have been a Communication Engineer, Coder, Banker and Lead Consultant. Someday I would travel to explore the world.