If you have been working steadily on your blog, and still not getting the desired traffic, then there is something fundamentally wrong with your approach. But you don’t have to worry. Getting traffic is not rocket science. Here are five easy tips to help you increase traffic on your blog.
- Be strategic about the content of your blog: There is no alternative to excellent content. You can achieve tangible results by merely enhancing the quality of your content. However, quality alone can’t get you there. You have to be more strategic with your efforts at content marketing. Your content should specific to a need. If you know your audience well enough, you will know what kind of content they want you to post. Your blogs can be funny, and witty, or educational and informative. Try finding the right balance between these two categories, and you will have a more diverse audience.
- Don’t hesitate to use keywords: If you want big-time traffic on your blog, then you must include SEO and keywords to your strategy. People get jittery about incorporating SEO techniques in their plan. But you must remember that SEO can do wonders for your blog when you do it the right way. Google will direct traffic to your blog, and the users will find all the information they are looking for on the web. The best thing about SEO is that you can link your blog to some of the other related blogs that you might have written on a particular subject.
- Targeting social networks correctly: While it is advisable to establish your presence across multiple social networks, you will soon begin to lose focus in your bid to excel with every social network. Try figuring out which social media network suits you the best. If your blog is heavy on visuals, you should post focus on LinkedIn. If your blog contains a social message, give your Facebook page some extra attention. You must figure out where the majority of takers of your content hang out and effectively target those platforms. Once you have identified your key networks, concentrate on them more. Ask your followers to share your content, so that your following keeps increasing.
- Optimize your page for speed: Your followers aren’t going to wait forever for your blog to load. If your page doesn’t come up fast, they will just hit the back button and move on to the next Google listing, which will most probably be that of your competitors’. Check out some of the WordPress plugins that will help you in creating a version of your blog that is specially optimized for a mobile device.
- Be friends with your competition: While this may sound weird, the truth is that building good relationships with your competitors will go a long way in establishing your dominance in your niche. Comment on blogs from bloggers in your field. Cite a blogger in one of your posts, and tag them in a tweet to let them know. The blogger will retweet and share that post that mentions them. Consequently, you will get more shares and traffic.
So finally 2019 is here. Marketing gurus, like every year, are busy teaching their followers the tricks that can help them succeed in the digital marketing sphere. One of these tips that you would come across frequently is to be consistent as a blogger. Marketers don’t get tired repeating the many benefits that regular blogging will have on your overall marketing prospects. They will tell you to choose a couple of days each week and post your blogs on those days. They will also press upon posting the content at the same time every day.
But why? None of your followers is going to start freaking out if the time when you post isn’t the same every day. Nobody is going to care if you post at 8 pm on Wednesday instead of 4 pm. Nobody is going to lose their mind if you don’t post on one of the days when you were “supposed” to post. And rest assured, nobody is going to unfollow you for that.
Stop putting yourself under unnecessary pressure.
All my life I have tried creating schedules and sticking by them strictly. It never worked out, and I got back to my procrastinating ways. After I started taking digital marketing more seriously, I observed what others did. I saw a bunch of people creating an editorial calendar which they would use to plan when they would be posting each of their blogs. I tried doing it too. And as usual, setting deadlines for myself didn’t work. Since I had set the deadlines for myself, I knew that I could always get away and never bothered to prioritize them.
And the worst thing about missing deadlines was that I felt a rage building within myself for not hitting my deadlines, again. By unnecessarily pressurizing myself, I was only preparing myself for failure. And mind you, this wasn’t the kind of failure that one could learn from. Instead, it was more of that repeated failure which makes you feel miserable about yourself for not being able to do your job correctly, slowly gnawing away your self-esteem.
You owe people nothing.
Another thing about not posting regularly is that you don’t owe people anything. Nobody cares whether you publish consistently or not, either. People have got enough problems in their lives to take care of, and nobody is going to come after you for not publishing on a regular basis. People who like your content will be too thrilled to complain when you finally post something. The only thing that you must pay heed to is that you adhere to quality content. That is strictly non-negotiable.
Nobody is going to send you angry emails saying that they were expecting you to post your content on Sunday and you didn’t do so. If you indeed receive such emails, ask them to get out and get a life. Nobody expects you to deliver a masterpiece on a specific day. You don’t owe them a masterpiece either. You merely want your work to be appreciated. So, stop ruining it by adding this imaginary pressure on yourself.
Be in control
It is up to you how and when you want to work. You can choose to ignore social media for days on end, and it is perfectly fine. If setting yourself deadlines works for you, do it. If it doesn’t, be the free-spirited person that you are. The only fixed rule of content marketing is to deliver quality content. Choose whatever suits you, because it works for you, and that is the only thing that should bother you.
Me? I have stopped trying and planning to post my blogs on specific days in a week. Now I only concern myself with writing, as and when I like. And guess what, I am doing much better now. Surprisingly, now I write more, and I come up with enhanced content than before. But the best thing is letting go of all the unnecessary stress.
Referral traffic refers to that percentage of traffic on your site that comes outside of Google. It is one of the major factors that contribute to brand’s online success. All of us want to generate a lot of genuine referral traffic to our website. Isn’t? But only a few of you actually receive it. However, there are a few amazing ways that can surely help you to generate massive amounts of genuine referral traffic. Here are some of the surefire ways to do it:
Leverage on Q&A sites: Q&A sites are a great source of referral traffic! Sites like Quora and Yahoo Answers are of great help especially for small and medium-sized businesses to bring huge referral traffic. When you leverage on these sites, your main goal is to solve other’s queries or problems, which can definitely bring lots of relevant and qualified traffic on your site. You can apply a strategy that works best in a way to generate more traffic such as:
- Carefully identify and pick relevant topics, search phrases and categories that are closely related to your business. Don’t waste your time in answering questions that already have few answers to them.
- Find relevant questions by outlining your expertise in the field. You can define your expertise in the “Knows about” section. You can also take help of keywords like SEO, marketing, among many others.
- Scroll through diverse information present for each question to acquire useful data.
- Set apart the questions that have no followers or less than 100 views and also screen out questions with over more than ten answers already.
- Put 2-3 links to your relevant content as it drives a huge amount of traffic to your site.
- Give adequate time to each post to discover the type of driving traffic.
Create and promote video marketing content: You can generate extensive referral traffic by creating your videos and promote it on suitable channels where you have your target audience. While creating your video marketing content, make sure to be specific and clear about the topics and formats. Embrace a storytelling approach in your video marketing campaign. This ensures that you connect better with your audiences. Also, don’t forget to use a Call To Action button to drive more traffic.
Creating a video marketing campaign is not just limited to putting it on YouTube, it requires a lot more! Once you create a video marketing content, it is important to promote it effectively. Few tools that can help you create and launch your video marketing campaign are:
- YouTube Editor: This free tool is completely integrated with YouTube that provides a variety of editing capabilities on the website. You can add transcripts or even add comments to your videos.
- Flipagram: This tool helps you to merge images in order to make your video stories short. This can help you with posting your video on platforms like Facebook or Instagram. A lot of companies use this tool to advertise their products over different channels.
- Wideo: This tool offers you a wide variety of template selection to create your own videos. The best part is, you can add your logo or other graphics to enhance your branding process.
- Stop Motion: This is an amazing tool that helps you to make videos using stop motion technique. It controls edit options for each frame in the video where you can watch and make changes to your video frame by frame.
- Animoto: This tool is an effortless video editor. Following simple steps, you can get your video edited. All you need to do is just add photos & videos, personalize it and finally place it on your website.
Curate content effectively: Content curation refers to a process of collecting information which is relevant to a particular topic or subject. Content Curation is an effective way to get quality backlinks and get massive amounts of referral traffic. This is a time-taking process as it requires you to gather striking content that connects directly to your niche audience.
To curate content of your blogs or articles, you can use different sites like Scoop.it and Storify. These sites can help you drive traffic by finding your influencers in your niche. You can simply look for relevant keywords in the search bar or can browse the latest trending topics. Suggest your content pages to the users with over 100+ views per day to their pages. This will call a large number of scoopers to visit your site. You can then re-scoop your page to their followers and other social networks.
This is how you can engage them on various social media platforms and search their website to approach them with suggestions for their Scoop.in accounts. Similarly, Storify can also be used to display tweet series on a particular topic and place your stories as a slideshow.
Use influencer marketing technique: Nowadays, influencer marketing has become one of the most powerful tools to create your brand awareness in front of the target audience. Influencer marketing is close to celebrity endorsement to persuade people. Influencers can be bloggers, celebrities, trendsetters or domain experts. As these influencers have a deep impact on people, this form of marketing can reap you maximum benefits.
Here are few tips to lead a successful influencer marketing campaign:
- Look for influencers who hold high post engagements like shares, likes or comments. It is not always necessary to focus on big personalities rather; you can also focus on mid-sized influencers.
- After you find your influencer, make sure to reward them with gift cards, free products, prizes or similar things.
- Create a page on your site where influencers can send their traffic. Make sure to customize this page regularly for the visitors.
- Take a note of views, engagement, audience reach, click-throughs etc. by developing Key Performance Indicators.
- Make use of tools like Ninja Outreach or Traackr for a successful influencer marketing campaign.
Join online forums: Online forum posting sites are a great way of generating traffic. While joining these forums, remember to add value without being too promotional. Use your brand name while getting registered with the forum. You can make efforts in your’s forums niche, but remember to check that the forum is active. Check this by checking that the forum has new posts every month.
Add value by telling your personal experiences instead of offering advice. Don’t forget to create a signature with a Call To Action link. You can add a new thread with a link to resources that is useful for the group.
Use social media effectively: You may share content on social media but how many of your followers actually read it? There are possibilities that your followers skip your post. You must use different techniques to increase the chance of every post being read. To make optimum use of social media and increase your social referrer traffic:
- Share the same content more than once. Doing this ensures that your followers read your post, even if they miss it once.
- Create a sharing schedule and think of ways to create variety in your content sharing schedule.
- Increase your brand’s reach by using different hashtag tools like Hashtags.org or RiteTag
- Optimise your content using graphics or images to catch people’s attention and get a few more extra clicks.
- Keep a track on results to measure the effectiveness of your social publishing schedule.
- Keep a record of the number of clicks, retweets or shares to know whether there is an increase or decrease in the post activity.
- Focus more on social media platforms which gives you higher ROI. Make use of platforms where your content gets most engagement with higher conversion rate.
- For the remarketing purpose, make use of Facebook dynamic ads, templates and product catalogs. Instead of creating multiple ad templates for each product, you can simply create a single ad for all your products. Facebook takes vital information such as pricing, images, and displays different product to different users.
- Just like Facebook, Instagram stories are working wonders! Use Instagram stories to increase your brand awareness and drive engagement.
- For Twitter, use Twitter Analytics dashboard to ensure that your tweets are getting enough engagement.
- Engage audience by creating social media giveaways and interacting with your customers to generate enormous leads.
Create a Guest Posting strategy: Guest posting is the process of publishing your article to someone else’s website. Carrying out effective guest posting is a significant way to get huge referral traffic. Begin with your guest posting efforts on sites that are relevant to your business. Inclining towards guest posting will get your content right in front of your target audience.
Make your guest posting schedule to keep your referral traffic intact. While you start your guest posting efforts, make sure to:
- Guest post only on websites that are relevant to your business or industry. The topic of your blog should closely relate to the industry type.
- Write precisely keeping in mind your target audience.
- Mention your name in the content and add specific backlinks to generate massive referral traffic and advertise your guest blog post.
Get listed on review websites: A review website has reviews on different businesses, products or services. Getting listed on several review websites can help a lot to generate referral traffic. The visitors of these sites are already known to buyer’s journey and are ready to commit to a purchase. However, getting rankings on these review websites may differ from company to company. List your site along with your website link to direct visitors to your site and generate huge referral traffic.
Use visuals and infographics: Images are the most important form of content for businesses. Visuals play a vital role in engaging audience.Infographics can attract a lot of readers and get more likes, shares, comments, links and the most importantly “traffic.”
Visuals help people to better understand the complicated data and grasp quickly. It is still difficult to engage the audience with long content, but with visuals, you can do it easily! There are a lot of free tools available to create infographics such as Photoscape, Vizualize, Canva Infographic Maker, among many others.
There are certain Email service providers like MailChimp which can be used to share visuals with your email list. By sharing infographics in different channels, you can tremendously increase your referral traffic and improve your Google rankings well.
Once you implement the above tactics, you can definitely attract enormous referral traffic to your website and get massive leads!
What is SEO?
SEO or Search Engine Optimization is a process of promoting your website so that it ranks higher on search engines such as Google, Bing or Yahoo. Since Google is the most widely used search engine, the prime objective of SEO is to rank your website on 1st page of a Google search for particular keywords. Simply put, SEO is a technique to ensure that websites are ranked amongst top 10 results on Google for particular keywords. The exercise is aimed at increasing the traffic to your website and creating awareness about your brand. It is a cost-effective and long term internet marketing technique which amplifies your revenue over a period of time.
How do we achieve best results through affordable SEO services?
We do a comprehensive SEO audit of your website to understand the current scenario. This is what a typical SEO audit looks like:
|1||Domain Age||X Years Y Months
|2||Meta tag optimization ||Need to be optimized
|3||Title Tag||Title has 82 characters but it should be up to 60 Characters
|4||Keyword Tag||There are 15 keywords in this tag but it should be 5-6 specific and targeted keywords
|5||Description Tag||Description tag limit is 160 characters, but it has 226 characters
|7||Image optimization||Images are optimized
|8||H1, H2, H3 Tag||Not present
|9||Robots.txt file||only h4 tag Present on the website – Needs to be optimized
|11||XML sitemap||Canonical issue found
|13||Google Analytics Code||Present
|15||404 Error ||Present
|16||W3C validation||65 Errors, 42 warning(s)
|17||BackLinks||This Page has 0 backlinks from External domains and 0 from Internal.
Keyword planning is the most critical stage of any SEO strategy. It is imperative to devote adequate time and efforts to choose the best keywords for your website. This will help in achieving higher ranks on search engines like Google for relevant keywords. If done incorrectly, the end results of SEO can be disastrous even if your site ranks well on Google temporarily.
The Adwords Keyword planner, an extended feature provided by Google, assists in finalising the foremost keywords for your website. Keywords should be chosen bearing in mind factors such as sufficient search volume, business relevance which in turn helps in producing tangible business value in the long run.
Our keywords planning look comprises the following elements:
|Keyword||Avg. Monthly Searches (exact match only)||Competition
|professional logo design||1000||0.93
|software development services||210||0.92
|digital marketing agency||5400||0.91
|business card design||12100||0.89
|Creative logo design||260||0.89
|online reputation management services||480||0.87
|research paper writing||140||0.81
|Online marketing company||880||0.8
|corporate identity design||390||0.76
|visiting card design||110||0.75
|Internet Marketing Company||1600||0.75
|Internet marketing services||880||0.74
|ux ui design||480||0.74
|corporate brochure design||170||0.74
|Digital marketing experts||140||0.71
On-page SEO plays a crucial role in the overall ranking process. Our On-page SEO services are aimed at ensuring your website appears to have good authority within the given industry. It also helps users identify your products and services quickly. This is, of course, done in strict compliance with the Google guidelines.
Our On-Page SEO services are an intrinsic mix of the following:
|On-Page SEO Services
|XML Site Map creation & Submission
|Anchor text & Internal Link Structure
|Image & Alt tag Optimization
|Broken link fixing
|Duplicate content fixing
|H1, H2, H3 tag Optimization
|Robots.txt file creation
|Canonical Issue Testing
|Google Analytics Configuration
|Google Search Console Configuration
|404 Error page
|HTML/CSS/Java Script Code Analysis
Off-Page SEO :
This is ‘The Differentiator’ of our services in the SEO process and proves to be the most critical in ensuring long term benefits to our clients.
Through this part of the optimization process, Google is able to measure the relevance of your website in the respective industry, thereby, providing higher ranks in the results page.
SEO results need to be watched closely and frequently to measure output in terms of actual execution.
We do not resort to quick-fix SEO techniques which may result to higher ranking easily, as resorting to such unethical practices can lead to removal of the website from the search engine forever. Once removed, it is next to impossible to bring a website back on top of Google search results in the foreseeable future. This makes off-page optimization not only crucial but also a critical factor in the SEO process.
Our off-page SEO involves:
|Search Engine Submission
|Social Media Pages Creation and Promotion
|Web 2.0 Creation and Submission
|Forum and Blog Commenting
|Guest Post Writing
|Social Media Activities
A sound, long term white-hat technique may take up to three months or more to bring about the desired results but pays handsome dividends in the due course. Though tangible results take time surface, clients can measure the progress by the improved keyword rankings, on a weekly basis. We have achieved tremendous long term results by applying these techniques for our clients. Mentioned below is some of our work:
Duration: 6 months
Our client’s sites were constructed on WordPress/PHP/Codeignitor. We were given 20 high-competitive keywords for which we had to make the website appear on first page of Google. After an SEO campaign run for 4-6 months, we were able to achieve almost 45 keywords (including 20 agreed keywords) on 1st page of Google. Today, even after 3 years, the rankings have not been affected despite several web spam updates by Google. This is the kind of output every webmaster should look for while preparing a comprehensive long-term SEO strategy.
Albert Einstein once said, “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” Getting impressive results from content marketing falls under the first category – Nothing is a miracle. There is a strong reason behind every successful blog post. You too can master the art and science of content marketing and generate massive traffic to your website that costs a bomb otherwise.
What I am going to write here is already known to you. The idea of writing this blog post is to use that knowledge to maximize the benefits from your content marketing efforts.
Quality is the oxygen, and quantity is the sweet poison in blogging
The following calculation changed the way I thought of content marketing. I stopped following the content calendar and never looked at the number of words in my blog posts.
This snapshot depicts the monthly Pageviews data of top ten pages of a website. The website has 221 pages in total.
Of the 221 posts, the traffic share of the top blog is almost 70%. The combined traffic share of the top ten posts is approximately 84% while the remaining 211 posts share just 16% of entire traffic.
This statistic indicates that out of every 1000 page views; top ten pages were viewed 840 times while the remaining 211 pages were viewed just 160 times.
Let us take another example:
Here, out of 658 pages, top ten pages received 65% of the total page views while the remaining 648 pages had a combined share of just 35%.
After analyzing Analytics account of 68 Websites, I arrived at the following conclusion:
On an average, top ten posts/pages attract 70% of the total traffic of the website.
Check the traffic share of top ten pages of your website and let me know through comments if your data is similar to what I have found.
If your website has 100+ posts and faces a similar situation, the traffic can be increased by almost 7.5 times by changing the approach of content curation and promotion.
Let us understand this by a hypothetical example:
- A Website has 100 Pages (Including Blogs)
- Total monthly traffic is 10,000
- Traffic of top 10 Pages = 7500
- Traffic of the remaining 90 Pages = 2500
Assuming each page has a similar potential; the remaining 90 pages can potentially receive a traffic of 67,500 (7500*9). In this case, the total traffic could have been around 75000. (Of course, the potential of every page would be different, but it is definitely more than the traffic it is receiving now).
These examples clearly indicate that posting another blog with average quality is not going to make any tangible difference to the website traffic.
I consider ‘quantity’ as sweet poison because a large volume of content sucks up the business resources without delivering much in return. I have seen many business owners saying ‘content marketing doesn’t work for us.’ ‘Large Quantity’ has been the primary reason behind most of these failures.
It is high time you get rid of a content calendar and put a quality improvement framework in place to excel in marketing.
Unique Content doesn’t mean Paraphrasing
The Internet is full of articles on almost every topic. Adding another blog post on your site will not make much difference until the quality stands out from the rest.
The good thing is you can always deliver unique and better content than your competition. Unique content doesn’t mean taking the idea from another source and paraphrasing it in your language.
“Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing about.”
I consider this quote by Benjamin Franklin a guiding principle for content curation. This approach has helped me immensely, and I am sure, it will help you too. No matter what business you are in, you must write something your customers care about.
Don’t use Google or another tool to get content ideas for your blog. Rather use following methods to generate ideas that will touch your customers’ life:
- Day to day conversation within the team,
- Questions by the prospective clients,
- Queries/Doubts of existing customers,
- Post Purchase questions by buyers
- Customer Support
- Product or service related misconceptions
- Behind the scene actions
- Revealing industry secrets to a certain extent
- Industry News Analysis
- Case Studies
One blog should be devoted to a ‘single idea’. Don’t mix multiple ideas in a single blog. You must write all aspects of the selected idea in one blog. If it makes the blog lengthy, you can link different blogs by providing a hyperlink to ensure you cover a complete idea in a short and crisp manner. The final objective should be that a reader should get complete information about the topic they are reading on the blog. Build your arguments with suitable facts from credible sources. The final product must be brief, concise and meaningful, and provide accurate information.
Points to be noted if you outsource content:
- Hire subject matter experts and not just excellent writers
- Provide them pointed instructions on what exactly you want them to write
- Ensure that they don’t just paraphrase the existing content. You need to support your writers with appropriate data so that they can create unique content.
Common Mistakes to be avoided at all costs:
- Searching Google for topic ideas
- Taking help of idea generators or Google keywords planner to select a topic
- Paraphrasing existing content to make it unique
- Creating content keeping in mind search engine algorithms
- Mixing multiple ideas in a single blog
Improving quality is not a one-time job. It is an on-going process that will last as longer as our existence. Therefore, it is important to make quality improvement an integral part of your content marketing.
A blog is not a platform for monolog. The purpose of a blog will only be served when the readers are engaged and respond to your content. The reaction can be in the form of comments, sharing it on social media, Quora, Forums, Bookmarking, or sending it to their friends, etc.
It is true that blogs must get sufficient readers to get feedback. To get more readers, you should promote the blog in an intelligent manner. Share it on social media, appropriate forums, and on favorite blog posts to expand its reach. Derek Halpern believes that marketers should spend 80% of their time in content promotion and 20% of the time in content creation. While this ratio may be different for you, extensive promotion of a blog is as important as creating a good blog.
You can see the efforts that are required to succeed in content marketing. Fortunately, the results of such efforts are stunning, to say the least. If you can’t make this kind of efforts, then it is better to avoid doing it half-heartedly as the same will only waste resources.
Now it is your turn to tell secrets of successful blogs that attract massive traffic even for years. Through comments, please let me know how well these techniques have worked for you.
Working together is better than working in silos. Subscribe to my newsletter and I assure you that together we will make your business a grand success.
When it was first introduced, WordPress became popular as a blogging platform. Now it has evolved from being merely a blog developing tool to becoming the most widely used content management system and website building tool. Today, WordPress is used for creating all kinds of websites, and the user guide is easy enough for anyone to understand it easily and create a perfectly functioning website quickly.
WordPress brought with it one of the most comprehensive and easy to use Content Management Systems, effectively changing the outlook for businesses. Now, almost everyone owns a virtual office! If you are not already convinced about how great WordPress is, we have a slew of reasons why you should choose it for your website.
We love WordPress, and here we tell you why:
- WordPress is free
WordPress is free to use and offers more than 18,000 themes and 35,000 plugins – a lot of which are free, to get you started with your website. It also enables you to customize or modify your website as per your requirements.
- Easy to use and learn
WordPress is used by millions of people every day, and the number keeps increasing due to a simple reason – it is simple and easy to use. WP tutorials offer you step by step tutorials and guides about making websites.
- Helps you make an extra buck
WordPress enables users to monetize their work through ads – especially through Google AdSense and similar other programmes. WordPress is one of the most widely used platforms utilized by various affiliates and affiliate networks.
WordPress, with its large community of problem solvers and technical savants, helps you get all the support you need for using it. All your problems will be quickly resolved, and you can also get access to user guides, tutorials and a lot of other helpful tips and literature.
- SEO – Friendly
WordPress offers a lot of inbuilt as well as third party plugins that can be used to enhance your website’s search engine rankings. WordPress is inherently SEO friendly with features such as the ability to generate search friendly URLS. SEO plugins, such as those by Yoast, can be used to further optimize the search engine.
- The best blogging platform
More than 20% of websites in the world are powered by WordPress – making it the best blogging platform. Its themes, widgets and plugins enable you to solve some of the most common problems that most new bloggers face, including that of the design of the blog.
- One-click posting
WP works as a one stop solution for website posting. It is easy to create your content, and then you can easily format it, add media and even post it with a single click. WordPress gives you a lot of options to present your content uniquely.
- WP is easy to manage
WP has inbuilt updater that allows users to update plugins and themes easily with a single click. All alerts for updates can be seen on the admin dashboard. The automatic updating system enables users to manage their website more efficiently.
- Safety and Security
Safety and security were never this simple. With WordPress, you can safely upload images and media to the server, through your dashboard, instead of using an FTP. WordPress themes help it serve some purposes such as those of arcades, blogs, shopping stores, etc.
Small business blogs perform the role of a guide and help small businesses identify their key competencies and state how these businesses can effectively use these competencies.
You may have good new business ideas, however, if you don’t get the right advice, it may not succeed as per your expectations. Following are some of the blogs you should subscribe to get actionable tips for your business.
Social Triggers is a blog from Derek Halpern. The blog focuses on the very basic element of marketing which includes understanding the psychology of the buyers. Despite consumer psychology being the most basic and essential aspects of marketing, very few blogs focused solely on the psychological and social components of marketing. The blogs, analyses the psychological and social triggers which affect the buying behavior of the consumers.
The blog suggests readers how to focus on the factors which help businesses identify the psychology of their consumers and develop strategies which are effective in converting these prospects into actual business.
Social Media Examiner
Social Media Examiner guides businesses in terms of using various social media platforms such as Facebook, LinkedIn, Pinterest and other such platforms. The blog helps users identify the right social media platforms for them and guide them with methods to use these platforms in an effective manner. Social Media plays a very important role for businesses and this blog is useful in determining the right methods to use the social media in an optimum manner.
Moz.com helps readers identify the right methods to help improve the ranking in Google search. All the businesses which have an online presence, Google search engine ranking are an essential factor. Getting the websites a higher ranking in the search, both locally and internationally is important for the business websites. Moz.com guides users in understanding various aspects such as Google Algorithm and other key elements. It also guides with developing strategies and various tricks which help in increasing the ranking of the websites.
For businesses which are involved in franchising and want to understand the intricacies of running a franchise, Franchise King is the right blog. It guides its readers about almost every aspect of franchising business right from starting a franchise to running it and other operational aspects associated with it. The blog is written by Joel Libava and is highly useful for Franchise owners in terms of the methods and key elements of franchising explained in this blog.
While starting a business, no entrepreneur thinks about selling of the business. However, this does not change the fact that for any successful business, it is a possibility to receive a decent offer in the future, which might intrigue its owner to sell it off at a very good price. Exitpromise.com helps its readers to identify the right opportunities when these come and evaluate what can be termed as a good deal for their businesses. There is a possibility that the buy- out price for a business can be much higher that its actual worth and can be a very lucrative offer. Therefore, the owner must think in terms of logical and commercial feasibility of such an offer rather than being emotional about the business. This blog helps with such aspects of selling a business and guides the readers with the best methods to develop the right strategies for an exit.
SixPL help small business owners generate maximum ROI from their digital marketing budget. Subscribe to our blog to get best resources on small businesses.
Generating content ideas for any traditional business is a daunting task. You need to come up with the right topics that satisfy the below criteria:
- It must be unique
- It should be relevant to your business
- Large number of people (your target audience or their internet acquaintances) are interested in it
Think of a topic and do a Google search and you will be presented with hundreds of articles on the same. Publishing one more article on the same topic doesn’t seem to be a great idea. Tools like Google Trends or Google Keywords Planner are not very helpful when it comes to generating unique content ideas. These tools will really help you in choosing the right keywords to bring relevant traffic once you have decided the topic.
Then how can you think of an original content that has a huge target audience and is relevant to your business?
It is time to close the internet browsers and look within to generate great ideas. From my personal experience I am recommending following techniques which can help you generate quality and relevant content ideas:
- Queries from potential prospects: Your new leads usually have number of queries. You address these queries successfully to convert a lead into a client. You can address these queries on your blog and attach the link of the same when a future prospect raises a similar query. Even if the topic has multiple blogs you should write your own blog too from your own perspective and organizational capabilities. It will not only help your sales staff but will also attract new potential leads to your website. Prospective clients who are in the process of doing research before making a final purchase will get sufficient information from your blog. Our two blogs “How do we determine the costing of your website?” and “Our SEO Strategy for sustainable long term organic ranking” are highly successful. Their success is based on the same method described above.
- Queries raised by existing customers post sales or during service delivery: You may be getting lot of questions from new/existing clients during service delivery or post sales. You should try to address all of them through your blog/resources section of the website. While answering questions you must leverage your expertise. This section should come from your product or service experts and not from Google research.
- Explaining a Technical Issue: If your product or service involves technical terms or expertise, you should explain those in layman language in your blog. It will not only help save resources but also make you a domain authority and bring higher traffic from search engines.
- Current Affairs – What is happening in your industry right now? What are their short and long term impacts on sellers and buyers in your industry? How concerned stakeholders can take maximum advantage of the recent changes in the industry? These are some of the questions that you could consider while generating ideas for your blogs. Write your opinion backed by some research and data.
- Competition Research –You should not do competition research to know what they have written. Rather you should read their blog contents to know what they have not written. You can subscribe to newsletters of maximum 2-3 competitors (ideally industry leaders) to get updates on what they are writing about. Read their blogs to find out which areas they have not covered in their blog. You will easily get an idea of what should you write next. You can also choose to write a simplified version of a research report.
- Sharing your Expertise – Never think that people will steal your expertise if you reveal it in the blog. Try and publish some of your expertise and you will get an idea of how much you can learn more just by publishing your expertise in a written or multimedia format. Reveal as much information as possible. Don’t bother if there are thousands of articles written on your area of expertise or even if you have learned the same thing by reading articles on the internet. Just make a blue print of your expertise on a physical paper and write it on your blog. If you think you are not a great writer, write all the points in a bullet format and hire a quality content writer to do the writing part. We will address how to hire quality content writers who can bring your thoughts and opinions on paper in my next blog.
As a business owner, you may think of much more than these six techniques to curate right content for your content marketing. Please suggest few of them in the comments.
The most important part of a content marketing strategy is identifying and setting specific goals. Unless you know the purpose that your content is going to serve, it is just a random piece of information without much value. Just like setting targets for any other aspect of business, well-defined and measurable objectives are essential for judging the efficiency of your content.
In this article we will evaluate few crucial objectives that need consideration while planning your content marketing strategy. But before that, it is important to understand three basic characteristics that your objectives should have. They should be achievable, measurable and must serve a specific purpose.
Generating the right quantity and quality of leads is the first objective of a content marketing strategy. This is the first step towards generation of profitable business and therefore it is the primary objective of any content marketing strategy. You may receive several queries based on the content you post online but to qualify as a lead, it must have a probability of closure.
Getting the right type and number of audience to visit your content is the most important enabler for converting your content into a revenue generating medium. The right amount of web traffic received by your content is an essential objective of a content marketing strategy.
A good quality content adds value to the audience and educates them. People seek information that is useful to them and help them meet their needs. You content must possess the information that your audience is looking for. Also, the content should be able to disseminate information in a simple and lucid manner so that it is easily understandable. Client education is one of the most essential objective of a content marketing strategy.
One of the important qualities of a content is that it should be interactive. It should be able to strike a chord with your audience. This will result in a better client engagement as they will comment on your content which will further lead to a discussion. Engaging your audience with your content is an important objective as it arouses an interest for your content among the audience.
The purpose of every business is to satisfy specific needs of its clients. Your content is one of the best mediums to communicate to your audience how you can serve them and deliver efficient solutions. A content marketing strategy therefore should aim at creating an awareness among the audience about how you can efficiently help them to serve their needs. Your content should act as an indicator of your competencies and one of the basic objectives of your content marketing strategy is to create an awareness about your expertise.
Your content marketing strategy should aim at creating a highly positive perception of your business and its offerings. It is essential that you align your content marketing strategy with the right goals.
Businesses strive to achieve specific goals for which they develop marketing strategies. Content is a useful medium to achieve these objectives. Content marketing is a cost effective medium to achieve these objectives. It not just helps save costs but also deliver higher Return on Investments. To achieve tangible results from your content marketing efforts, you must lay significant emphasis on developing their content strategies to achieve them. Content strategies must be easily implementable and understandable by your team members and other stakeholders or else they will fail to deliver the expected performance. This article is a step by step guide for developing and implementing viable content strategies.
Setting Measurable Objectives
Time is an important measurement tool, and, therefore, any strategy must be time-bound. There must be a definitive beginning and end. It is advisable to split the entire duration into shorter blocks and have smaller strategy milestones attached to them for measurement. It will ensure that the strategy is on track. The objective that a business aspires to achieve through its content marketing strategy is subjective and may include elements based on the actual requirement. However, there are certain general parameters that can be implemented as a part of the content strategy of a company.
Below parameters and examples are the frequently used parameters
Lead Generation – Define the types of leads and number of leads you would like your business to generate. Content marketing strategy is developed from a long term perspective and hence the objectives must be defined accordingly. Lead generation activity needs be planned carefully since it is an ongoing activity. Also, you may require to follow up on the generated leads as they may not close immediately. Persistent efforts will lead to more lead closures over a longer term. You may set specific targets for lead generation and review their achievements periodically. For example, a company may target generating X number of B2B leads within the first twelve months of completing the campaign and review it after every three months.
Website Traffic – Driving web traffic to your content is critical as more audience of your content means a better chance of generating business and increasing revenue. You could decide the number of visitors you would like to have to your content in a specific timeframe. For instance, set an initial target of “X” number of visitors. After achieving it, target for an incremental 1000 visitors each day.
Engagement – Getting the audience to view your content is just an initial activity. It is even more important to engage them. For written content, it is crucial that visitors read it and share it with their acquaintances, like it or comment on it. Continuing with the above example, you may target “Y” number of engagements every week for your content.
Awareness – Your target audience must be aware of the content or else your content marketing strategy is rendered futile. To increase the awareness of your content, set a precise goal that would include number of visits and a time frame for these visits.
Establish yourself as a domain authority – Write good quality and unique content. If your content is just a rewritten version of other contents available online, then it will fail to achieve its purpose. Publish content that is unique and adds value to the audience. Your content must be authentic and credible. It will set you up as an expert in the specific domain. It will help you get more audience as people who need information specific to your domain will turn to your content for it.
Ad impressions – It is specifically for the publishers. Advertisements displayed on your content page and seen by the visitors count as impressions. It is an important source of revenue generation and higher the impressions higher the revenue from the content. It is an important monetisation tool for your content.
Generate support from the audience – The power of online marketing is that your audience or customers become your brand ambassadors. When they link your content or share it, they are promoting it. It is the best form of marketing. Develop a content strategy that will entice and motivate your audience to support and promote your content.
After you have decided the objectives, next step is to identify and develop the right content. Evaluate what kind of content you require and in what proportion. Check if a single content will suffice the purpose or you will require multiple contents to achieve the defined objectives of the strategy.
To achieve it, consider the following elements
Target audience – Identify your target audience. If you are a business owner, based on your business model, identify who are the intended clients. For example, your content could be tailor-made for B2B or B2C purposes or developed to evoke the interests of CEOs of your targeted companies. Similarly, it may target founders of start-ups or small business founders. Alternately, your targeted audience could be regular people such as students, parents, newly married couples or old couples. This categorisation of the audience is critical to developing the right contents.
Understanding their behaviour – Understanding the behaviour of the end users is important. See things from their perspective to understand their needs and what kind of solutions do they seek. This will help you develop and offer the right deliverables communicated through your content.
Identify specific topics – Identify topics for your content that will offer value to your audience. Focus on developing contents based on these topics.
Identify formats – Identify specific format for your content. Decide whether you would like to write a blog, a social media post, Ebooks or emails.
Few other critical elements of content strategy
Hiring content writers
Hire efficient and quality writers for your content. You can use LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter and other Outsourcing sites for hiring writers. The qualities to look for in good writers are – quality work, timely delivery, honesty and right work ethics. If you hire writers from a social media website or an outsourcing portal, check for their online credentials. Ask them to work on few samples before finalising the hiring process. Acquaint them with your overall content marketing strategy and resolve all their queries.
Produce very precise and accurate content. Your initial focus must be on developing useful content for your audience that will deliver superior value to them. Produce contents based on the requirements of your targeted audiences. B2B clients prefer more fact-driven and informative content whereas B2C audience prefer contents that appeal to their emotions. Hence, for B2B clients, efficient content is the one that reports facts while, for B2C clients, effective content tells a story. You may decide upon the specific amount of content in terms of words or number of articles that you are going to produce per week. Setting this goal is important irrespective of fact whether it will be published or not.
Decide the medium where you would like to publish your content. It can be your corporate blog, industrial blogs website as a guest writer, LinkedIn or Facebook. Before publishing any content, plan a schedule for publishing it and strictly adhere to the schedule. The schedule may include date, type, number of contents and type of contents that you would published every week or month. An advance scheduling for a week is beneficially. Also get it approved from the concerned authorities.
Identify specific channels for promoting your content. Be specific and choose maximum three channels instead of a large number of mediums. Email is an efficient promotional tool, and you can use it judiciously. LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest and Tumblr could be the right medium based on your products or services. If required, you can also promote your post on Facebook or use “Sponsored Updates” feature on LinkedIn to ensure that your content reaches larger target audience. It is important to remember that simply publishing content is insufficient and it is equally important to adequately promote it.
Measure the performance of your content using tools such as Google Analytics. It will give a clear indication of the efficiency of your content and whether it can meet your objectives. Periodic review of the performance is essential to gauge the actual achievements of the objectives vis-à-vis planned objectives. For this activity as well, you may develop and follow a schedule.
Refining your Strategy
Based on the performance your content delivers, refine and realign your strategy. If the performance is better than the set goals, raise the bar and increase the target. If it is below par, evaluate your strategy and make necessary changes. From my personal experience I can state that 90% marketers ignore this step. Refining and realigning your strategy is an important part of your existing campaign and it will also facilitate better planning for future campaigns.
To conclude, content marketing can deliver brilliant results if planned meticulously and executed properly. Before jumping to start a content marketing campaign, spend enough time in research and understanding the competition. A good strategy can take your business to greater heights as compared to your expectations.
A well-planned and implemented strategy leads to long term sustainability and growth in a ferociously competitive world of online business.