+91-9318484366 sales@sixpl.com

Albert Einstein once said, “There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” Getting impressive results from content marketing falls under the first category – Nothing is a miracle. There is a strong reason behind every successful blog post. You too can master the art and science of content marketing and generate massive traffic to your website that costs a bomb otherwise.

What I am going to write here is already known to you. The idea of writing this blog post is to use that knowledge to maximize the benefits from your content marketing efforts.

Quality is the oxygen, and quantity is the sweet poison in blogging

The following calculation changed the way I thought of content marketing. I stopped following the content calendar and never looked at the number of words in my blog posts.

This snapshot depicts the monthly Pageviews data of top ten pages of a website. The website has 221 pages in total.

Pageview Snapshot 1

Of the 221 posts, the traffic share of the top blog is almost 70%. The combined traffic share of the top ten posts is approximately 84% while the remaining 211 posts share just 16% of entire traffic.

This statistic indicates that out of every 1000 page views; top ten pages were viewed 840 times while the remaining 211 pages were viewed just 160 times.

Let us take another example:

Pageviews Snapshot 2

Here, out of 658 pages, top ten pages received 65% of the total page views while the remaining 648 pages had a combined share of just 35%.

After analyzing Analytics account of 68 Websites, I arrived at the following conclusion:

On an average, top ten posts/pages attract 70% of the total traffic of the website.

Check the traffic share of top ten pages of your website and let me know through comments if your data is similar to what I have found.

If your website has 100+ posts and faces a similar situation, the traffic can be increased by almost 7.5 times by changing the approach of content curation and promotion.

Let us understand this by a hypothetical example:

  • A Website has 100 Pages (Including Blogs)
  • Total monthly traffic is 10,000
  • Traffic of top 10 Pages = 7500
  • Traffic of the remaining 90 Pages = 2500

Assuming each page has a similar potential; the remaining 90 pages can potentially receive a traffic of 67,500 (7500*9). In this case, the total traffic could have been around 75000. (Of course, the potential of every page would be different, but it is definitely more than the traffic it is receiving now).

These examples clearly indicate that posting another blog with average quality is not going to make any tangible difference to the website traffic.

I consider ‘quantity’ as sweet poison because a large volume of content sucks up the business resources without delivering much in return. I have seen many business owners saying ‘content marketing doesn’t work for us.’ ‘Large Quantity’ has been the primary reason behind most of these failures.

It is high time you get rid of a content calendar and put a quality improvement framework in place to excel in marketing.

Unique Content doesn’t mean Paraphrasing

The Internet is full of articles on almost every topic. Adding another blog post on your site will not make much difference until the quality stands out from the rest.

The good thing is you can always deliver unique and better content than your competition. Unique content doesn’t mean taking the idea from another source and paraphrasing it in your language.

“Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing about.”

I consider this quote by Benjamin Franklin a guiding principle for content curation. This approach has helped me immensely, and I am sure, it will help you too. No matter what business you are in, you must write something your customers care about.

Don’t use Google or another tool to get content ideas for your blog. Rather use following methods to generate ideas that will touch your customers’ life:

  • Day to day conversation within the team,
  • Questions by the prospective clients,
  • Queries/Doubts of existing customers,
  • Post Purchase questions by buyers
  • Customer Support
  • Product or service related misconceptions
  • Behind the scene actions
  • Revealing industry secrets to a certain extent
  • Industry News Analysis
  • Case Studies

One blog should be devoted to a ‘single idea’. Don’t mix multiple ideas in a single blog.  You must write all aspects of the selected idea in one blog. If it makes the blog lengthy, you can link different blogs by providing a hyperlink to ensure you cover a complete idea in a short and crisp manner. The final objective should be that a reader should get complete information about the topic they are reading on the blog. Build your arguments with suitable facts from credible sources. The final product must be brief, concise and meaningful, and provide accurate information.

Points to be noted if you outsource content:

  1. Hire subject matter experts and not just excellent writers
  2. Provide them pointed instructions on what exactly you want them to write
  3. Ensure that they don’t just paraphrase the existing content. You need to support your writers with appropriate data so that they can create unique content.

Common Mistakes to be avoided at all costs:

  • Searching Google for topic ideas
  • Taking help of idea generators or Google keywords planner to select a topic
  • Paraphrasing existing content to make it unique
  • Creating content keeping in mind search engine algorithms
  • Mixing multiple ideas in a single blog

Improving quality is not a one-time job. It is an on-going process that will last as longer as our existence. Therefore, it is important to make quality improvement an integral part of your content marketing.

Seek Feedback

A blog is not a platform for monolog. The purpose of a blog will only be served when the readers are engaged and respond to your content. The reaction can be in the form of comments, sharing it on social media, Quora, Forums, Bookmarking, or sending it to their friends, etc.

It is true that blogs must get sufficient readers to get feedback. To get more readers, you should promote the blog in an intelligent manner. Share it on social media, appropriate forums, and on favorite blog posts to expand its reach. Derek Halpern believes that marketers should spend 80% of their time in content promotion and 20% of the time in content creation. While this ratio may be different for you, extensive promotion of a blog is as important as creating a good blog.

You can see the efforts that are required to succeed in content marketing. Fortunately, the results of such efforts are stunning, to say the least. If you can’t make this kind of efforts, then it is better to avoid doing it half-heartedly as the same will only waste resources.

Now it is your turn to tell secrets of successful blogs that attract massive traffic even for years. Through comments, please let me know how well these techniques have worked for you.

Working together is better than working in silos. Subscribe to my newsletter and I assure you that together we will make your business a grand success.

Author: Saket Kumar Singh

A digital marketer and strategist by profession, I love writing and travelling. In the past I have been a Communication Engineer, Coder, Banker and Lead Consultant. Someday I would travel to explore the world.